Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Fri Feb 26 08:08:03 UTC 2016

There might be many people who are interested in following that. If you're
asking is there anybody who want's to be completely devoted to that atm, you
might not see that many people raising their hands.

As far as I know there is currently no public p≡p activity to follow. It's
indeed essential that such activities are opened up as soon as possible. Then
you'll have people following and taking in bits and pieces and possibly step
up their involvement as they see fit.

You might not have realized it, but Thunderbird and Mozilla in general are
extremely bug focused. If the activity is not registered as a bug in bugzilla
it basically do not exist . That's the workflow we follow and that's how
people follow what's going on, get involved, have opinions on approaches and
ultimately submit patches. In contrast: there are of course discussions on
mailing lists and newsgroups but those are more about higher level policy and
possible approaches. For concrete things to happen code-wise, that will always
go through bugzilla.

On that subject - I do think for Enigmail to ship as a default plugin in
Thunderbird we need to land the code in comm-central and also start using
bugzilla as issue tracker for it. If not, you really don't get the needed
fusion and trust between the communities that is needed to confidently ship
it. We'd have a very odd situation that it ships (as default) and someone
finds a problem, you'd have to say "hey, not our problem, go file a bug with
those guys" - which is clearly unacceptable. We'd also not be able to for
instance track release blockers in bugzilla and so on...

-Magnus