Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

Volker Birk vb at pep-project.org
Fri Feb 26 00:25:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:16:06PM +0100, Klaus Hartnegg wrote:
> > Am 25.02.2016 um 21:37 schrieb R Kent James <kent at caspia.com>:
> > The reason that we keep linking PEP and Enigmail is that, as we understand
> > it, PEP is proposing an encryption solution that is based on Enigmail, with
> > additional components supplied by PEP.
> I am not (yet) a PEP expert, but from their talks I conclude that for PEP it
> is irrelevant whether Enigmail is also integrated into Thunderbird. These two
> plugins are independend of each other. They only both share the requirement
> that Enigmail must be installed. If it is not, then the PEP installer
> installs it.

That's a misunderstanding. Enigmail/p≡p (which will be the outcome of our
cooperation) will be a full featured Enigmail including a default mode (“Junior
Mode”) where it is using p≡p engine for key management, trust rating and so
forth. Enigmail still will provide an “Expert Mode” where people who want to
manage their crypto themselves can do it like they're used to.

Basically, p≡p will add a feature to Enigmail. p≡p will not sport a second
plugin.

Yours,
VB.
--