Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

BA ba at pep-project.org
Thu Feb 25 21:10:04 UTC 2016

On Feb 25, 2016, at 9:37 PM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> The reason that we keep linking PEP and Enigmail is that, as we understand it, PEP is proposing an encryption solution that is based on Enigmail, with additional components supplied by PEP. So Enigmail is a necessary but not sufficient part of incorporating PEP technology into Thunderbird.

Just to clarify: Although both Enigmail and p≡p could be independent solutions working with TB, we agreed to collaborate and join forces as such is in the interest of the public and privacy around the world. Due to that decision, both are required for a successful Enigmail/p≡p solution. The nice thing about p≡p in general is that it does not affect users who send unencrypted e-mails and the TB interface could theoretically not change at all.

> Concerning PEP, I think that we can say there have been some severe cultural clashes to working together. Yet Berna is trying hard to figure us out, and I am enthusiastic about the possibility of PEP making PGP encryption much more straightforward than it is now, and more widely adopted. So there is hope, but it will take some time to, as you say, "approach each other and work together, and in the process build mutual trust".  That's mostly what the recent statement is about. Nobody from Thunderbird want to be in a situation where we are "simply saying yay/nay" (or even worse, agreeing a priori to say "yay" because we are accepting funding from PEP). What would help is someone familiar with TB to work with PEP, or someone from PEP to work with Thunderbird.

Is there a TB contributor who would like to be involved in p≡p? Maybe we should explore that option next.
-ba
—
Berna Alp, p≡p project
ba at pep-project.org