Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Feb 25 22:16:06 UTC 2016

> Am 25.02.2016 um 21:37 schrieb R Kent James <kent at caspia.com>:
> The reason that we keep linking PEP and Enigmail is that, as we understand it, PEP is proposing an encryption solution that is based on Enigmail, with additional components supplied by PEP.

I am not (yet) a PEP expert, but from their talks I conclude that for PEP it is irrelevant whether Enigmail is also integrated into Thunderbird. These two plugins are independend of each other. They only both share the requirement that Enigmail must be installed. If it is not, then the PEP installer installs it.

However the teams for both plugins should talk to each other, to prevent interference. They should agree on using the same version of Enigmail, or make sure that they use separate copies of it. And they should make sure that the uninstaller of one does not erase the Enigmail copy which is still used by the other.

--
Message sent from a mobile device, please excuse brevity and typos