Do only 28 people care about the future of Thunderbird? Please vote!

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Feb 25 20:32:07 UTC 2016

On 2/25/2016 2:55 PM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> If we can figure out a way to get enterprise users to contribute to
> Thunderbird, then we should figure out a way to get them to have a voice
> as well. If not, then I don't care much about enterprises either (other
> than through my interest as a third-party in Mesquilla which has a
> substantial base of SMB users, as well as enterprise users who refuse to
> accept Outlook).

In my opinion, most of the features that enterprise *users* want are not
necessarily 'enterprise features', they are simply 'power user features'.

Enterprise *Administrators* is a different story. Yes, as an Admin for a
small Windows domain, I'd love to have full support for real MSI
installers & Group Policies... but those are the only *two* truly
'Enterprise' features I can think of that don't really benefit ordinary
individual 'home' users.

Even full support for Exchange protocols can benefit some individual
*users* who choose to go the Office 365 route (so they can get
downloadable version of Office).

The fact is, given any one software application and 10 different users,
ask for a list of the most important features, and you're going to get
10 different lists - with some crossover, sure, but they certainly will
be different.

Meaning - with some notable exceptions (ie, MSI installers and GPO
support), features that Jim might call 'enterprise' features to others
are just a must have.

What I would like to see is an effort at individual 'kick-starter' type
campaigns for certain larger features/jobs, where we get one or more
developers who commit to implementing a feature - say, a total rewrite
of the composer, or the Address Book, or a 'js'ification' of the UI -
then get some one or more people reasonably familiar with what it will
take to accomplish to suggest a target 'goal' amount, then create a
kick-starter campaign, and try to figure out some creative ways of
publicizing them.

This would have to be done in such a way that there is some
accountability - ie, if the goal isn't met, money is refunded, if the
goal *is* met, a way to track progress on the implementation process,
even if it is just weekly or monthly 'progress reports' via email, maybe
with (a) link(s) to the bug(s) in the bug tracker for those who like
details.

Regardless, I get tired of seeing comments like this about
'enterprises', when there are really very few truly enterprise features
that wouldn't also benefit lots of ordinary users, or power users.