Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

BA ba at pep-project.org
Thu Feb 25 20:19:13 UTC 2016

On Feb 25, 2016, at 8:02 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/25/2016 9:09 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>>> Please note that the later we get involved, the less influence we can
>>> have on the result.
>>>
>>> If your concern is that PEP drops something on us that we can't accept,
>>> then we better get involved earlier rather than later. As you know, cost
>>> of change increases 10-fold each step of the way.
>> PEP is a product by an independent organization - the Thunderbird
>> community by will only have limited influence on the product.
>
> PeP was trying to ask us to integrate PeP into the product by default.
>> Therefore, the influence you are talking about will mostly target
>> Enigmail, not PEP. If Enigmail should become a part of Thunderbird, then
>> I expect this is something we will certainly need to clarify - I'm open
>> for such discussions.
>
> I actually do think Enigmail, or at least the PGP encryption/decryption mechanical parts, should be integrated (and tested) into Thunderbird, even independently of whatever happens with PEP. I was more or less holding off on discussing this until my nsMsgSend rewrite progressed to a stage where I could figure out what the successor to nsIMsgComposeSecure should look like, since the current interface is not that answer.

Please allow us (Berna, Volker and Patrick) a little more time to get back to you with a concrete timeline, because once you see how Enigmail/p≡p works, most discussions will quickly cease due to the nonintrusive nature and extreme ease of use of the new plug-in. We intend to provide you with betas as soon as possible, to allow for feedback and input. I can also arrange for those who would like to venture into ‘hostile territory’  and receive a copy of the p≡p for Microsoft Outlook plug-in, which will be launched very shortly.  p≡p for Outlook plug-in illustrates the concept of privacy by default as envisioned in Enigmail/p≡p as well. Just let me know.

p≡p was perturbed about the past announcements re Thunderbird and hence offered TB a reliable support system, as TB is critical to the crypto-community and furthermore TB can have an even bigger global privacy impact with Enigmail/pEp built in. Our proposition was conceived as a win-win for all the stakeholders and it’s still relevant as far as we are concerned.

Warmest regards,
-Berna Alp
—
Berna Alp, p≡p project