Do only 28 people care about the future of Thunderbird? Please vote!

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Feb 25 19:55:43 UTC 2016

Funny, but I also often feel that "my goals for Thunderbird differ
pretty strongly from the Council".

On the enterprise issues, there's a well-worn myth that famous bank
robber Willie Sutton, when asked "why do you rob banks?," answered
"because that's where the money is" (which is a misquote per
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/02/10/where-money-is/ but no matter).
The same thing applies to enterprise users of Thunderbird. In theory,
"that's where the money is", but people who have tried to extract it
like BenB report it is pretty hard to wrestle that money from the
enterprise.

Actually my passion is not the enterprise user, but rather figuring out
a way to empower users who are willing to contribute to Thunderbird,
either financially or through participation, in having a voice in the
future of Thunderbird. MoFo is making great progress now in enabling a
donation page, and as part of that we will be asking users who
contribute to subscribe to an email list where they can contribute their
voices to Thunderbird's plans. If we are going to ask users to donate,
and rely on those donations as a substantial part of our funding, then
they should have a voice.

If we can figure out a way to get enterprise users to contribute to
Thunderbird, then we should figure out a way to get them to have a voice
as well. If not, then I don't care much about enterprises either (other
than through my interest as a third-party in Mesquilla which has a
substantial base of SMB users, as well as enterprise users who refuse to
accept Outlook).

:rkent