Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Feb 25 19:35:24 UTC 2016

Patrick Brunschwig wrote on 25.02.2016 16:09:
> But, and this is most important, PEP "only" provides services that are
> a) invisible to users, and
> b) quite easily pluggable into an application via a clearly defined API.

Backdoors and insecure designs are invisible, too :).

This needs serious investigation - on protocol design and code level -
before we can integrate it.

We'll also need review from a wide crypto community.

Gervase Markham wrote on 25.02.2016 16:59:
> True, but it's hard to evaluate something you've never seen.

Exactly. That's my point.

The 2 projects should rather approach each other and work together, and
in the process build mutual trust, than TB kicking back and waiting for
a finished PEP product, and then simply saying yay/nay. That's not
likely to be a fruitful process, IMHO.

Ben