Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Thu Feb 25 15:09:35 UTC 2016

On 25.02.16 14:27, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> R Kent James wrote on 24.02.2016 19:32:
>> 3) An alpha version of a PEP/Enigmail addon is available
>
> Please note that the later we get involved, the less influence we can
> have on the result.
>
> If your concern is that PEP drops something on us that we can't accept,
> then we better get involved earlier rather than later. As you know, cost
> of change increases 10-fold each step of the way.

PEP is a product by an independent organization - the Thunderbird
community by will only have limited influence on the product.

But, and this is most important, PEP "only" provides services that are
a) invisible to users, and
b) quite easily pluggable into an application via a clearly defined API.

Therefore, the influence you are talking about will mostly target
Enigmail, not PEP. If Enigmail should become a part of Thunderbird, then
I expect this is something we will certainly need to clarify - I'm open
for such discussions.

-Patrick