Example: Why I believe we need a new HTML editor

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 15:40:49 UTC 2016

> This illustrates my main point: Messages should be style-formatted by the reader,
> not the sender. I understand that this point eludes most users, but it's nonetheless
> valid. It only becomes evident when you think yourself into the reader.
>

> Font sizes (standard size for base text and quotes) are another good example.
> Elderly people like to make big fonts when writing messages - because they find it
> easier to read for themselves - understandable. What they will be saying is that
> they want to make fonts bigger when composing. What they really want is to make
> fonts bigger for themselves - and for all messages: composer and reader alike, even
> while writing a message, but also while reading. At the same time, readers should
> not get their big fonts. It would make my eyes fall out.

I like those thoughts, at the same time I like "high-fidelity" HTML views (just like I
prefer websiotes that have predictable, standardized content, that renders "similar"
across browsers  and "degrades gracefully".

On the size issue, why not have some maximum / minimum size settings on the Reader
side? (I know we have a minimum, why not add maximum as well?)

And same with colors, one could enforce specific rulesets for colorblinds (e.g. using
red + blue instead of red + green for font colors). I guess that one is a little more
esoteric so it sounds like perfect Addons territory.