Example: Why I believe we need a new HTML editor

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:02:53 UTC 2016

Dear Ben,

++++1

absolutely agree. We need styles in /addition /to the toolset we have. In Outlook I
have to make a custom style to "pretend quotation" in HTML mail. In Thunderbird we
have the brilliant "Paste as Quotation" which is probably one of the most useful tools
ever.

>> we could build a really cool UI and better features than Outlook if we embraced the
>> concept of customizable styles
>
> Personally, I struggle with all editors, including LibreWriter and Outlook. They
> always seem to get it wrong by continuing a style that I intended only for 1 word or
> one paragraph, sometimes just by pasting, but it continues for the rest of the doc
> like that and I have to manually change it back.
The thing with paragraph level styles is that they should be perpetual.. ONce you are
in a paragraph which is a certain style and hit "Enter" this is just splitting it into
2 identically styles paragraphs. More to the point, after headings Outlook returns to
paragraphs.  Word has the concept of "next style" which means you can pick what the
"follow-on" style is (it is usually a paragraph, which is what they call "Normal")

> Highly annoying. TB composer does that much better.
I am not sure what you mean, can you give an example? If I type in red, this will be
persistent in Thunderbird. What I really like about Word is the "Format Painter" tool
which allows applying a set of styles from one passage or paragraph to another.

> Consider that email is something we write more quickly than documents. The direction
> is rather to go even quicker, see SMS, WhatsApp, and GMail and Apple are emulating
> that for email with "quickresponse".
I think conversation view does soemthing similar; it basically gives a dumbed down,
primitive (almost text) version of the email. That's clearly not what I would want as
a default HTML editor, where I frequently have to quote and insert screenshots and use
styles for clarification and emphasis. Those emails take longer to craft but they are
also a lot easier to read. And templates should help with containing preconfigured
styles that can be used from the dropdown.

> That's not to say our Composer was perfect. But please don't copy the mistakes of
> other applications, where we are miles ahead.

Again I absolutely agree (and said it before) that the quoting feature is probably one
of tools that makes Thunderbird emails stand head and shoulders above the competition.
I would like a dedicated paste as quotation button to make this feature more visible.

Unfortunately quite a few users who exclusively  top-post in true "Outlook fashion"
want quotes to look identical to their own text so not everybody will appreciate the
finer points of a nested conversation.

cheers,
    Axel