Thunderbird Council: Voting Process

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 17 13:08:29 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-17 at 05:44, Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) wrote:

> On 2/17/2016 2:00 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>
>> Op 16-2-2016 om 21:34 schreef Gervase Markham:

>>> Just to save everyone's time, I would reiterate that the message
>>> about how the vote will be administered was not a proposal for
>>> discussion.

(Out of curiosity: in that case, where/when is - or, if it's already
passed, where/when was - the occasion for such discussion? Is/was it
open to the community, or limited to people who already hold roles in
Thunderbird governance?)

On 2016-02-16 at 07:24, Gervase Markham wrote:

> [...]

I read this as saying that if there are more votes which the people
counting the votes disagree over how to count than votes which they can
agree about how to count, the ballot will be done over.

This says nothing about re-running the ballot ("same" or otherwise) in
any other case, including the case where the motion is rejected.

>> Gerv replied to my original message, but my message itself didn't
>> make it through moderation. so please approve my original message.
>
> I can assure you it was approved. And I have your email in my folder,
> so it definitely went through the list. Apparently you did not get a
> copy of your own message with Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:27:47 +0100.
>
> Check if your message is in spam. If you don't find it, send me a
> copy of your original message with the full headers and I'll see if
> there's something there that might have caused a problem.

If I'm not mistaken, this is an intentional feature of Gmail. It checks
Message-IDs and sees that you already have (in your Sent folder) a copy
of a message with the same ID as this incoming message, so it discards
the incoming message as being a duplicate, without realizing - or,
apparently, caring - that the incoming copy has been modified from the
one which was sent out.

This makes _some_ degree of sense for people who read via the Gmail Web
interface, given some of the special "dynamic message location" features
of that interface. However, it doesn't account for people who want to
make use of possible modifications (new headers, altered headers, added
Subject-line tags, etc.), or for people who read by any other interface
- including a standalone mail client like Thunderbird.

--
   The Wanderer