Example: Why I believe we need a new HTML editor

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Wed Feb 17 08:16:06 UTC 2016

On 17/02/2016 01:44, Axel Grude wrote:
> Just tested (45.0beta) but I guess I am missing a setting to "activate"
> that behavior (still have to enter enter)? I would have liked if it was
> just "fixed" for HTML users. Like it works in outlook and all other good
> HTML editors including Confluence and Sharepoint. <p> should be default,
> period.

Hmm, I'm sure we're boring most people on the list, but anyway:
Please read bug 330891.

No need to activate the new behaviour.
The option editor.CR_creates_new_p is set to true by default.
This is exposed in the UI (Tools > Options, Composition, General):
   When using paragraph format, the enter key creates a new paragraph.
With his set, which is the default, all new e-mail, replies and forwards
start in paragraph mode, so you can just type away.
IOW, it is just "fixed" as you wanted it.

I've been using it ever since, and I quite like it.

Kind regards, Jörg K.

P.S.: It even says so in the release notes ;-)
Return/Enter in composer will now insert a new paragraph by default
(shift-Enter will insert a line break)