Example: Why I believe we need a new HTML editor

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:55:00 UTC 2016

Dear Ben,

but it looks like you replied in plain text? So HTML isn't high on your priority list
right? ;-)

by the way I am forced to use Outlook as well, and yes it is unpredictable at times.
but it is possible to paste stuff from word documents without getting huge surprises.
The other thing it has is the styles bar and that just works. You can just select a
style and keep writing; and you can customize your styles. That's something I would
like to be able to do in Composer.

In our Company people often use colors for showing "quote level" (*) - you may argue
because Outlook is too stupid to show real quote levels. So removing all color from
previous quotes is not always an advantage.

As regards rich Editing, Outlook feels a lot closer to Word (table styles!) and as a
layout freak I feel I have a lot more power. If Thunderbird had a native HTML source
code editor I would be satisfied with it but people want tools they understand without
knowing about the underlying language. So they need customizable styles; since the
power of CSS3 is awesome we could build a really cool UI and better features than
Outlook if we embraced the concept of customizable styles - obviously harnessing CSS
classes under the hood.

(*) one person may reply (inline) in red and then the next one in green. One may say
that this is "retarded" but we should not ignore the way the ordinary user is going to
use a tool. Format Brush, anyone?

Axel
Software Developer
Keys, SmartTemplate4)