Example: Why I believe we need a new HTML editor

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Feb 16 23:30:35 UTC 2016

Axel Grude wrote on 16.02.2016 16:35:
> Even though the HTML markup of Outlook (that email addon for Microsoft
> word, you may have heard of it) may be atrocious, it is extremely good
> at one thing: Giving the user predictable and manageable layout with a
> minimum of pain.

I'm forced to use Outlook at one work place. I have to strongly
disagree. The editor of Outlook is outright horrible. It also changes my
fonts all the time. I regularly end up writing emails with 2 different
fonts. I have no idea how that happens. Worse, it doesn't go back to
normal fonts after pasting something, so I often end up either writing
the whole message in Courier or having to manually fix up fonts.

Outlook drives me nuts to no end.

And, FWIW, I do not think that presentation is something the author
should determine, but rather the recipient, the reader. I do *not* want
to see replies in red - they are extremely hard to read for me. Luckily,
I can ignore all that nonsense with "View as | Simple HTML" - in TB, but
not in Outlook.

Ben