Posts to tb-planning about voting

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Feb 15 21:29:45 UTC 2016

On 2/15/2016 12:47 PM, Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) wrote:
> In the interest of transparency, the normal moderation policies of
> this list will be suspended on the subject of voting for council members.

I'd like to clarify this.

The issue here is that we are about to have a vote for the revised
Thunderbird Council. For the vote to be legitimate, there needs to be
some sort of free speech allowed so that people who agree or disagree
with the proposal have an opportunity to make their case to the voting
audience, which is the tb-planning list. Hence Wayne, as one of the
co-moderators of the tb-planning list, agreed to mostly eliminate
moderation to permit that free speech.

Although Wayne is suspending the moderation rules, technically it was
not possible to actually remove moderation, so there will still be a
delay while a moderator approves the posts prior to it appearing on the
list.

The planned timing for the vote did not take into account the need to
have public discussion of the proposal prior to the vote. As there have
been several posts about the vote, we're going to ask Gerv to allow
several days of discussion prior to starting the vote. I'll propose a
delay until Saturday, but ultimately it is Gerv's decision.

If you disagree with the proposal, either with the process itself or
with the actual proposed list of candidates, your option is to vote
against the proposal. You are also free to propose or discuss alternate
voting methods, or alternate candidates, but realize that the path to
see those considered is to vote down the current proposal.

POSTS DIRECTLY TO TB-PLANNING ARE NOT HOW YOU ACTUALLY VOTE! Gerv will
share details of the voting process soon.

:rkent