Fwd: Re: Thunderbird Project as 3rd-year Engineering Group Project

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 22:46:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>
wrote:

> On 2/12/2016 1:25 PM, Jim <squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have very little interest in helping Thunderbird to become a better
> > enterprise email client. To my knowledge, no business has ever provided
> > actual resources to Thunderbird (aside from Mozilla, of course), and the
> > only non-Mozilla people who have ever contributed were doing so in their
> > own free time.
>
> That's pretty closed minded Jim.
>
> Especially since most (maybe with the major exception of full GPO
> support) work that makes TB a better 'enterprise' mail client would also
> benefit individual users.

I couldn't disagree more.

While there's obviously some crossover (a good IMAP implementation benefits
every kind of user), the features that enterprises want usually have no
bearing on home users. Based on the tb-enterprise metabug, it appears that
most of the "enterprise" issues are LDAP (which I've only encountered in
workplaces and universities), GPO-related issues (irrelevant for home users
as you say), NFS/SMB/network profile issues (I don't know any people who
use these at home, but surely there are a few), MAPI issues (possibly
useful to home users, but not very high-value), and performance issues for
large folders (useful to home users, and something we should work on). This
metabug isn't 100% complete of course, and there are a great many bugs in
Bugzilla about improving compatibility with Outlook (handling calendar
invites, TNEF attachments, semicolon-delimited mail address, etc), among
other things.

While I'm not sure I totally agree with him, ex-Netscape engineer jwz once
said, "Do not strap the 'Groupware' albatross around your neck! That's what
killed Netscape, are you insane?" <https://www.jwz.org/doc/groupware.html>.

- Jim