Upcoming Council vote

BA ba at pep-project.org
Sat Feb 13 00:19:14 UTC 2016

Hi Gerv,

On Feb 12, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

>  That process is what led to the "proposed revised Thunderbird
> Council" announced by Kent in a message to this group on 9th February.
> There is no open nomination process. The vote will be either for or
> against that proposed council, as a single group.

I disagree with your plan of ’no open nomination process’ here as this is not how the open source community should function or what it stands for. I would like to emphasize that I am not opposed to any of the candidates but rather to your proposed process. I am sure all the candidates will agree that we all want to do what is best for the future of TB.

If you want to elect a Thunderbird council that has legitimacy and credibility, this is not the way to go about it. Don’t we all want to choose from a  pool of  most qualified  and dedicated contributors (past as well as present) to serve on the new TB council who are committed to grow TB and re-energize TB development?  I strongly believe an open nomination process is the most credible and productive course to achieve this.

A pre-selected group with an 'all or nothing' vote is not a good approach. An open nomination process with a subsequent vote would empower the TB council. Can you please share the reasons why you want to narrow the field of contenders to the number of seats on the council? In my opinion,  what you are proposing does not match the definition of an open, democratic and transparent election.

I think you not only need to invite all the volunteers (past and present) who have contributed to Thunderbird to apply, but also not restrict this process in any way, shape or form. If you have only 9 candidates for 9 seats and you disallow an ‘open nomination process’ and with that limit the roster of volunteers from which the TB contributors can choose , then I do not see how this has anything to do with an open and democratic election process.

Is not possible to benchmark the election process of TDF and other leading open source projects and thereby implement the new TB council election process accordingly ? We need a new TB council with unquestionable legitimacy for the upcoming critical decisions and the current suggested process will prevent that from happening.

Kind regards,
-Berna
—
Berna Alp, p≡p project