Upcoming Council vote

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sat Feb 13 13:04:34 UTC 2016

On 13/02/16 00:19, BA wrote:
> I disagree with your plan of ’no open nomination process’ here as
> this is not how the open source community should function or what it
> stands for.

I'm sorry that you disagree with it, but that is what's going to happen.
This was explained in the email last year, and in person by me to both
you and Volker.

In a few months, Thunderbird is quite likely to move to a new
organizational home (or have a very different relationship with Mozilla)
and depending on what that organizational home is, they will require a
governance reform to match the way that projects in that organization
are governed. There is no point in having two major governance
reorganizations in the space of a few months. I believe this process is
a good compromise between continuing with an expired council, and a full
immediate governance reform.

I am satisfied that the Council has canvassed an appropriate set of
current core Thunderbird contributors to see who is willing to serve. I
don't believe that anyone in that set who wanted to serve has been denied.

> council? In my opinion,  what you are proposing does not match the
> definition of an open, democratic and transparent election.

I very much hope the process is open and transparent (I will be posting
the exact process soon). As for democratic, well, Mozilla is not a
democracy and never has been; while there are many things about
democractic processes which are good and useful, being "as democratic as
possible" is not a goal.

Gerv