Fwd: Re: Thunderbird Project as 3rd-year Engineering Group Project

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:25:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Dave Koelmeyer <
dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:

> Also, businesses using Google for Work at scale have presumably already
> been sold on the pros of using a webmail client, so I don't know how
> attractive having a desktop client that works with Gmail actually would
> be here to those organisations. Implementing missing standards support
> (e.g. CardDAV) for those businesses not using Gmail would be a better
> use of resources, in my opinion.

I have very little interest in helping Thunderbird to become a better
enterprise email client. To my knowledge, no business has ever provided
actual resources to Thunderbird (aside from Mozilla, of course), and the
only non-Mozilla people who have ever contributed were doing so in their
own free time. I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course.

With that in mind, I'd rather try to make Thunderbird sufficiently
attractive to other developers that they start using it, so that a few
might contribute patches back to us. Having a few extra helping hands would
be extremely beneficial.

- Jim