Fwd: Re: Thunderbird Project as 3rd-year Engineering Group Project

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 00:31:17 UTC 2016

On 12/02/16 13:22, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
> On 12/02/16 07:29, Jim wrote:
>> If we're looking for general project ideas, might I recommend a
>> project to improve Thunderbird for Gmail specifically? Gmail is
>> incredibly popular and has a number of important differences from
>> regular IMAP to make it slightly annoying to use in Thunderbird. For
>> instance, Thunderbird doesn't know that messages in All Mail are the
>> same as those in other folders, so you get multiple instances of a
>> message in the new message popup. We also don't integrate as well as
>> we could with Gmail's Junk filtering, and we had to disable the
>> ability to change the archiving granularity (mainly because when I
>> wrote the patch, I didn't know how to fix it any other way). I believe
>> we have some significant issues with IDLE support on Gmail as well.
>>
>> Fixing these would be a great thing for us to shout about. If we can
>> provide the best desktop MUA for Gmail, that would (probably) get a
>> lot of people to sit up and notice, especially given how many
>> companies use the business version of Gmail (including Mozilla!).
> Thunderbird makes a good client for Gmail once you jump through the many
> hoops, but it's so much of a moving target I wonder if it's ultimately
> worth the trouble (I closed my Google Apps for Business accounts and
> moved to FastMail) – and if this would be better dealt with through
> clear documentation.

Also, businesses using Google for Work at scale have presumably already
been sold on the pros of using a webmail client, so I don't know how
attractive having a desktop client that works with Gmail actually would
be here to those organisations. Implementing missing standards support
(e.g. CardDAV) for those businesses not using Gmail would be a better
use of resources, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Dave

--