Fwd: Re: Thunderbird Project as 3rd-year Engineering Group Project

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 00:22:06 UTC 2016

On 12/02/16 07:29, Jim wrote:
> If we're looking for general project ideas, might I recommend a
> project to improve Thunderbird for Gmail specifically? Gmail is
> incredibly popular and has a number of important differences from
> regular IMAP to make it slightly annoying to use in Thunderbird. For
> instance, Thunderbird doesn't know that messages in All Mail are the
> same as those in other folders, so you get multiple instances of a
> message in the new message popup. We also don't integrate as well as
> we could with Gmail's Junk filtering, and we had to disable the
> ability to change the archiving granularity (mainly because when I
> wrote the patch, I didn't know how to fix it any other way). I believe
> we have some significant issues with IDLE support on Gmail as well.
>
> Fixing these would be a great thing for us to shout about. If we can
> provide the best desktop MUA for Gmail, that would (probably) get a
> lot of people to sit up and notice, especially given how many
> companies use the business version of Gmail (including Mozilla!).

Thunderbird makes a good client for Gmail once you jump through the many
hoops, but it's so much of a moving target I wonder if it's ultimately
worth the trouble (I closed my Google Apps for Business accounts and
moved to FastMail) – and if this would be better dealt with through
clear documentation.

Cheers,
Dave

--