Fwd: Re: Thunderbird Project as 3rd-year Engineering Group Project

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:29:43 UTC 2016

If we're looking for general project ideas, might I recommend a project to
improve Thunderbird for Gmail specifically? Gmail is incredibly popular and
has a number of important differences from regular IMAP to make it slightly
annoying to use in Thunderbird. For instance, Thunderbird doesn't know that
messages in All Mail are the same as those in other folders, so you get
multiple instances of a message in the new message popup. We also don't
integrate as well as we could with Gmail's Junk filtering, and we had to
disable the ability to change the archiving granularity (mainly because
when I wrote the patch, I didn't know how to fix it any other way). I
believe we have some significant issues with IDLE support on Gmail as well.

Fixing these would be a great thing for us to shout about. If we can
provide the best desktop MUA for Gmail, that would (probably) get a lot of
people to sit up and notice, especially given how many companies use the
business version of Gmail (including Mozilla!).

- Jim