Re: Quill – Your powerful, rich text editor

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 07:27:58 UTC 2016

I just had a deeper read into the documentation of quill, especially

https://quilljs.com/docs/formats/

And the restriction to a small well known number of them

"By default all formats are enabled and allowed to exist within a Quill
editor and can be configured with the formats option. "

is what worries me in a way that such modern HTML editors always seem to
restrict editing to a very reduced number of HTML4 tags (prominently
featuring inline elements such as font) so they very much appear to
restrict formatting like most web editors (and their feature set sends to
be already provided by our current composer).

If we go through the trouble of replacing the editor I think it ought to be
more powerful and directed towards building reusable style sheet templates
for formatting similar to a word ".dot" template file. It should support
extendable / user definable inline and block styles and not just be
restricted to "vanilla" p, h1, h2 elements, ideally offering some HTML5
elements that could be added to the toolbar and styled (initially with a
css class editor; later on we should build a UI for adding / modifying /
extending class formats). It shold allow a dedicated toolbar (or toolbar
element) for adding / presenting such styles similar to the rich text
editors such as word to allow access to the full HTML layout feature set.

For example I may want to define a span style that I am using to highlight
keywords with a gradient background,  border radius, box-shadow and
non-breaking white space, and then want to create red and blue flavours of
this.  Then add them as style buttons to the styles toolbar.

That would truly leverage the layout power of HTML4 + Css3 within the
confines of email composition ; and I am not sure whether the  "lite Html"
editors that are usually suggested in Tb Planning are a good starting
point;  all they seem to do is offer the same restricted feature set with a
very narrow predefined number of formats.

In my mind this unnecessarily  restricts what Thunderbird can do with its
gecko based HTML engine; and the restriction is one of the reasons why
outlook (which basically has a MS word component built in for style
editing) is so much preferred in the commercial email world (of course
Exchange server being another important reason).

How can we allow the new editor to be more extendable with custom formats
and encourage more css class based editing (ideally deprecating the use of
that font paradigm, which involves a lot of manual copying and pasting of
html segments if you want to achieve mire sophisticated consistent layout.

Which ultimately seems to be discouraging use of more evolved layout, and
isn't what I would call superior to the current "lite html" composers.
Would it not be better to extend the existing editor with style sheet
templates  or find a new editor that already supports such functionality? I
feel a new editor should be more focused on the platform (HTML5, CSS3)
rather than a same old restricted GUI and minimal old feature set. That's
why we need more alternative suggestions if you guys know any.

Regards,
  Axel