Future of Thunderbird - fix it, or total rewrite? WAS Re: What happened to hiring an architect?

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:56:51 UTC 2016

On Wed Dec 28 2016 12:05:04 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Joshua
Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with rewriting is that rewriting is really hard, especially
> when you have something as feature-rich as Thunderbird.

So... I had thought from earlier comments that much of this work was
already done in Gaia (and was why it would make the most sens to use it
as a starting point), but from this comment of yours I gather that Gaia
is sorely lacking in these key functional issues?

> We have talked about leveraging Firefox Sync in the past to synchronize
> settings across TB instances, and we had at one point a provisional OK
> from the Sync team so long as we're not storing oodles of information
> like local messages.

All well and good, but I have no interest in putting my critical data
(this data would also contain account settings, including passwords)
anywhere that wasn't under my full (and sole) control, which is why I
specifically provided examples of things that were (local file, WebDAV,
FTP, etc).