TB, Electrolysis & Quantum

Philipp Kewisch mozilla at kewis.ch
Thu Dec 29 16:14:47 UTC 2016

On 12/29/16 5:00 PM, Disaster Master wrote:
> For example, there have been numerous issues with Lightning that will
> bring all of Thunderbird to its knees, and apparently it is still a
> problem even today where a large number of remote calendars are in use.
> And yet another example is [Cal/Card]DAV. What happens when the remote
> server is having problems?

While I agree it would be great to put some of the processing into extra
threads or processes, this is not immediately fixed by introducing
multiprocess Thunderbird. There are some other issues that require
attention related to data structures and storage, which may already fix
the Lightning freezing with many events. It may also be sufficient to
put some processing into workers (Threads) instead of using the e10s
multiprocess model.

The only case where there may be an immediate benefit is putting the
calendar views into a separate process if the bottleneck is indeed the
display of the DOM. This could also be solved by simplifying the DOM or
maybe using HTML instead of XUL. On the other hand, it may well be that
the overhead of transferring the event data from the main process to the
content process exceeds the benefit of enabling e10s for that part of
calendar.

In any case, there is a large amount of work required in Lightning
before we should consider enabling e10s just for these issues.

Philipp