Future of Thunderbird - fix it, or total rewrite? WAS Re: What happened to hiring an architect?

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Dec 29 14:47:55 UTC 2016

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 schrieb:
> We have talked about leveraging Firefox Sync in the past to synchronize
> settings across TB instances, and we had at one point a provisional OK
> from the Sync team so long as we're not storing oodles of information
> like local messages. At the time I last recalled talking with them, they
> were telling us "hold off, we're completely rewriting the thing in the
> next few months" (yet another example of the underestimation of rewrite
> complexity). Since then, I did hear a story from the SeaMonkey folks
> that the Sync people were moving goalposts to reject being usable for
> SeaMonkey, and, given the confused Mozilla policy with respect to
> Thunderbird, it's unclear if we could leverage that service still.

Actually, from all I know, the Sync rewrite was done, it's now based on
Firefox Accounts for logging in, and they said that SeaMonkey is free to
use Sync in its current state a while ago - there is just nobody on the
SeaMonkey side that would have ported the new code yet.
 From all I hear, it's a pretty sane and nice system at this time for
whoever actually has code for using it.

KaiRo