TB, Electrolysis & Quantum

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 04:39:28 UTC 2016

On 12/28/2016 4:32 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> I think your understanding of the security enhancement of electrolysis
> are incorrect.
>
> Jailing/sandboxing processes adds significant security for the end user.

Sandboxing certainly does add security, but moving stuff out-of-process
per se is not the same as sandboxing. My understanding is that most
desktop operating systems don't have usable (i.e., SELinux doesn't
count) means of actually providing meaningful process-/OS-level
sandboxing until very recently. Mobile operating systems have generally
lead the way in these capabilities. I will profess ignorance as to
whether or not electrolysis actually takes advantage of these features
where present.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer