Removal of XUL/XBC(?XPCOM? from m-c? WAS Re: What happened to hiring an architect?

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:52:47 UTC 2016

On 12/21/2016 3:43 PM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:

> Like aleth wrote, there have been no announcements about removing
> XUL/XBL. XUL is deprecated, meaning Mozilla will not put any effort on
> moving if forwards (patches NOT accepted!). XUL in add-ons is going
> away for Firefox Add-ons, but will live on in Firefox/Thunderbird core
> for who knows how long. Removal is only a long term goal, so I would
> not be surprised if it's still used 10 years from now, but these
> things are hard to predict.
>
> XPCOM is not deprecated, and the implications would be massive. It
> would happen way in the future if ever.
>
> So, removal is not imminent but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot
> of rewriting into web technologies that should happen as soon as
> possible, since that is not such a moving target, pool of contributors
> is potentially huge and there would eventually be a possibility of a
> version for mobile.

Ok, so it sounds like things aren't quite as dire (Thunderbird will be
dead in a year!) as I was thinking from the comments surrounding the
deprecation of XUL/XBL.

And I'm glad to hear that XPCOM has not been slated for deprecation, let
alone removal. I could have sworn I saw someone say that it was.

Thanks for clarifying things, Magnus.