Removal of XUL/XBC(?XPCOM? from m-c? WAS Re: What happened to hiring an architect?

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Wed Dec 21 20:43:13 UTC 2016

Like aleth wrote, there have been no announcements about removing
XUL/XBL. XUL is deprecated, meaning Mozilla will not put any effort on
moving if forwards (patches NOT accepted!). XUL in add-ons is going away
for Firefox Add-ons, but will live on in Firefox/Thunderbird core for
who knows how long. Removal is only a long term goal, so I would not be
surprised if it's still used 10 years from now, but these things are
hard to predict.

XPCOM is not deprecated, and the implications would be massive. It would
happen way in the future if ever.

So, removal is not imminent but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of
rewriting into web technologies that should happen as soon as possible,
since that is not such a moving target, pool of contributors is
potentially huge and there would eventually be a possibility of a
version for mobile.

  -Magnus