What happened to hiring an architect?

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:22:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com>
wrote:

> I'm saying: we need to accept that fact that foregoing gecko is not an
> option. Unmarrying thunderbird doesn't work either. So, that leaves only
> one choice: Write a new client. Yes, that will take 1-3 years. That's why
> we need to start now. Once gecko is not usable by thunderbird anymore, it
> will be to late to start. It will be game over. Accept that, and act
> accordingly. That's my point.

This is pretty much where I'm at. There are surely a few things we can
salvage from Thunderbird, but even if we somehow magically fixed the Gecko
issue, Thunderbird's codebase itself is showing its age. There are major
architectural issues (Mork, broken mail tab multiplexing, 3+ different ways
to listen for folder events, etc) with it that we've never had the
resources to fix, not even when Thunderbird had paid staff.

All things considered, I'd rather spend time helping out on Glodastrophe,
since I think it'd be easier to add features to that than to fix
Thunderbird.

- Jim