What happened to hiring an architect?

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:13:07 UTC 2016

Get Thunderbird!

In order to make that more obvious, the Composer must make the HTML5 feature set more
accessable. As a minimum this would mean including an HTML source editor, possibly
also a separate style editor.

Only being able to display HTML5 is hardly worth discovering to the average user
without being able to craft such features easily. I know this is an old chestnut but
if we could have an HTML Addon-Editor as a starting point (or a HTML toolbar that is
as easy to use as a Word Ribbon for advanced layout such as text-shadow, building and
storing CSS classes in order to have re-usable layout templates, etc.) then
Thunderbird's superiority would actually become apparent.

> /But I am dead against locking things down to a small subset as Gmail has done,
> holding up non text email up as a result.  All in the name of security. /

Gmail to me is a web-mail client and doesn't really compete (just yet) as it's got
different paradigms. I must say that I find it handy for the mobile platform when I am
away from my desktop and have been known to answer the odd urgent email from there. On
the browser I usually find it a terrible experience, because of the bad navigation.
There are  friends who have embraced their tabbed interface (which forces some
pre-made categories of emails) but there is always a problem with web interfaces that
you have to follow their paradigm and hope it is still around in 2 years time.

Stability and Predictability of UX and paradigms  is actually one of the huge
advantages of Addons, as they usually stick to their initial idea and may expand it,
but don't capaciously introduce huge changes into the workflow.

> /Not supporting scripting languages I accept and understand, as I support no Flash.
> But Thunderbird must support the HTML specification as it stands now and into the
> future.
> /

I agree - HTML (5) is the bedrock  standard that Thunderbird should stick to.

With things like the flex box model and media queries there is also a lot of nice
layout capabilities for the future - provided we can build UI to make this easily
accessible.

Axel