What happened to hiring an architect?

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Dec 19 23:02:22 UTC 2016

On 12/19/2016 2:34 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Normally we don't do "me too", but given that rkent is actually
> seriously arguing it:

I'm not arguing for it. What I am saying is:

1) Forking or freezing Gecko is a choice that others have made
differently from us, so saying it is not a choice is unhelpful.

2) We do not want to fork Gecko for a variety of reasons.

3) If we believe what the Firefox folks are saying, then it is going to
be increasingly difficult to follow on our current path of compiling
Thunderbird as a variant of Firefox. At some point in the future,
forking will be our only choice. Since that is not a choice that we want
to be forced to make, then we need to be actively moving away from
compiling as a binary variant of Firefox.

What I /have/ argued for in the past is having the check-in source of
Thunderbird in comm-central be based on a "last known good" revision of
m-central, or even on known releases of m-c, with someone actively
managing the last know good revision, and working on patches to allow
that last known revision to advance. That is how every other project
with an upstream code source works, and I don't understand why this is
considered such a radical proposal here. If we start using React, is
someone going to demand that we build using nightly developer updates of
React instead of known releases?

Really the only difference between Magnus' and my position is that he is
more optimistic than I am about how difficult it is going to be to
continue build on the Firefox code base. How about you, BenB? Are you
optimistic? I'm guessing not, so I would guess you are closer to my
position than Magnus'.

:rkent