What happened to hiring an architect?

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Dec 17 12:07:29 UTC 2016

On 16.12.2016 02:02, R Kent James wrote:
> On 12/15/2016 12:10 PM, Magnus Melin wrote:
>> A forked Gecko is not really a choice. If would be a final resort if
>> all else failed.
> We've had this discussion a zillion times, but let's repeat it since it
> is always so much fun;)
>
> Postbox's new release is on Gecko 7.0.1, which is now over 5 years old.
> I have not heard any great outcry about their security issues, and
> someone on this list (...cough..  BK...cough..ensa) keeps telling us
> what a great product that is, and how popular it is in Mozilla. So
> clearly forking Gecko is a CHOICE, and if people at Mozilla are using it
> then some people at Mozilla must not care that it is based on old Gecko,
> either.

That depends on your definition of CHOICE. You can choose never to
upgrade, that's a choice. You can choose never develop a thing, that's a
choice. These are not real choices if you're talking about how to move
forwards however.

As you know Thunderbird have very large deployments in public
administration and institutions. I imagine sticking your head in the
sand regarding security would be a death blow to those deployments. How
could the administrators reasonably argue for staying with Thunderbird then.

> You don't like that choice, and neither do I, but it is clearly an
> option. And if we believe what we hear about aggressive plans out of
> Firefox, and how they want to separate from Thunderbird to reduce the
> pressure to accommodate our needs, then that is the path we are heading
> to. Heck we already do it on a file-by-file basis in some cases, moving
> things to comm-central. We're going to have to fork the addon directory
> fairly soon if they really remove support for XUL extensions, as my
> experience with Mozilla tells me we have about a year after they remove
> it in FF before we will have no choice in TB.

Moving pieces of code to maintain it ourselves is very different from
forking. You get more code to maintain, but you're still staying in pace
with the latest developments.

  -Magnus