What happened to hiring an architect?

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Dec 16 20:15:15 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 12:00 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
> Once the "old" behavior is split out into an addon, the main developers > don't need to continue maintaining that addon if they don't want to >
(although being open / welcoming to working with those who do want to >
would certainly help);

That is not what I mean by a first class addon. With a first class
addon, there is an implicit commitment to maintain that with the same
diligence that we would for core code.

But still, splitting out old functionality into a normal addon is
sometimes a good practice. When the UI powers-that-be decided to remove
the folder columns, I applied some pressure and got the old
functionality put into an extension. That extension (Extra Folder
Columns) now has 128,000 users.

:rkent