The likely future of Thunderbird Addon architecture

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:26:45 UTC 2016

> Let me be so bold as to say that the 3 year plan for Thunderbird
> extensions is likely to be support for bootstrapped extensions (which
> also work today) while eventually XUL-based extensions will have to be
> abandoned.

Fine as long as there will be an equivalent overlay mechanism. (Using HTML5?) Like I
stated elsewhere re-building UI completely via DOM injection is very cumbersome and
will be a deterrent for anyone who wants to augment the UI in a meaningful way.

Also what about l10n? the current mechanism of replacement of &language; entities is
very straightforward, hope this is not going to all have to be done in code now.