What happened to hiring an architect?

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Dec 16 18:23:56 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 7:38 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
> get a stable environment ready for the foreseeable (next 3 to 5 years)
> future, then focus on Kents plans to increase resources at our
> disposal, and start working on the pieces most in need of rewriting,
> one at a time.

The current consensus of the developer community with Thunderbird is
that it is important to stay current with Gecko for as long as is
feasible, so there will be no freezing of Gecko any time soon. The only
real disagreements are how long "as long as is feasible" is, with me
being more pessimistic (two years) and Magnus being more optimistic, but
eventually facts will overtake our current opinions and speculations.

One significant change though is that we will start to apply our
available funds to hire people to help with this maintenance task. That
will hopefully free up volunteers, such as myself, to work on newer
stuff that we would rather work on. I've really personally gotten tired
of tracing out obscure problems in old legacy code. So much of it just
needs replacing instead of adding one more band-aid, then spending the
next two years fixing the regressions caused by that band-aid.
Volunteers should be able to work on what they want to work on.

I'm not saying that we would not apply funds to newer work, only that
continuing to exist is more important than getting better, so existing
(continuing to build and release) is the first priority.

:rkent