What happened to hiring an architect?

Paul paul at paulwmorris.com
Fri Dec 16 14:28:33 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 08:57 AM, Disaster Master wrote:

> What was meant then by Mozilla's announcement of the deprecation of
> XUL/XBL/XPCOM? Either they are going away, or they aren't. Or maybe,
> they will be there, but the hooks will be removed for Firefox? But if
> that is the case, why keep them if they won't be used?
>
> I really wish I understood this better.

"Without a fundamental shift to the way Firefox add-ons work, we will be
unable to use new technologies like Electrolysis, Servo
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo_%28layout_engine%29> or
browser.html <https://github.com/mozilla/browser.html> as part of Firefox."

 From the section on "Deprecation of XUL, XPCOM, and the permissive
add-on model" here:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

Servo:
https://servo.org/

Browser.html:
https://github.com/browserhtml/browserhtml

Mozilla has put a lot of time and effort into Servo, Rust, Browser.html,
etc. and if I understand correctly, benefitting from all that investment
depends on moving away from XUL, etc.  One might conclude from the
ambitious timeline for deprecating XUL add-ons (end of 2017 / Firefox 57
[0]) that they will also pursue an ambitious timeline for moving Firefox
away from XUL, perhaps shortly thereafter.

[0] https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/

-Paul