What happened to hiring an architect?

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Fri Dec 16 14:11:27 UTC 2016

The Wanderer schrieb:
> What you need is a policy that all changes to user interactions must be
> backwards compatible, and able to be "switched off" in some way -
> whether by config option, or by add-on, or by userChrome changes
> (preferably documented somewhere!), or almost any other method. (The
> idea of "first-class addons" could easily help with this; if you
> introduce the change to user interactions as a new add-on which is
> present by default, and pull "the way it used to work" out as a new
> add-on which can be swapped in for those who want to switch back, that
> would seem to address the issue entirely.)

If you develop software yourself, you quickly find out that this is how
software dies. It becomes unmaintainable or just doesn't adapt to the
changing world around it and is superseded by younger software that
doesn't come with that ballast from the past.

And Thunderbird is IMHO way along that path, and will need to change
significnatly (even in user interactions) if it is to actually survive.
Note that I'm a friend of heavy theming (ever seen LCARStrek for Firefox
and SeaMonkey?) and of very traditional all-your-messaging in one UI
(heck, I use "plain text" display of emails, and I dislike
"conversation" display of message threads), but I see that things need
to change to survive, and for the sake of maintainability, some options
and code paths need to die.

KaiRo