What happened to hiring an architect?

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Thu Dec 15 20:10:35 UTC 2016

A forked Gecko is not really a choice. If would be a final resort if all
else failed.

There are many security fixes pushed out every 6 weeks, and those impact
Thunderbird as well at least to some extent. Backporting patches is not
a viable long term or even short term solution. Backporting patches even
to the latest ESR versions is often tricky for the people who fixed it
on trunk. It's simply not doable with reasonable effort for any outside
group.

But importantly, also regarding technology we would be left in a dead
end. E.g. all the advances in JavaScript would be out of reach. Not
exactly a good way to attract contributors.

  -Magnus