Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:30:48 UTC 2016

Get Thunderbird!

Well, in my experience that is provided by XUL. Of course to make the GUI functional
you also need to be able to inject code that does something useful (especially in the
realm then you also need XPCOM which gives you access to the low level, scriptable
parts of the email front end code; this also includes access to GLODA (the database
behind the search engine in Thunderbird).

> So, a question for you.
>
> Is there any reason that a Theme Addon (Themes are still Addons, right?) couldn't do
> the same things as, say, Classic Theme Restorer?
There are restrictions with Themes, normally they shouldn't contain executable codes,
but some full themes circumvent this restriction by bundling an extension with the xpi.

> Also, is it possible to write an Addon that makes changes like, for example,
> moves/places toolbar elements (buttons, location bar, search bar, etc) to a specific
> toolbar, in a certain order, then hides certain other toolbars?

yes.