Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 15:05:09 UTC 2016

On 12/12/2016 9:33 AM, Wayne Mery <vseerror at lehigh.edu> wrote:
> On 12/12/2016 9:10 AM, Disaster Master wrote:
>> On 11/21/2016 9:35 AM, Disaster Master <disasterlistmanager at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The only answer? What may I ask is wrong with my proposal to simply
>>> improve the underlying code to allow better access for Themes to be
>>> able to change the UI?
>>>
>>> In what way is this not a much better solution than a 'UI Czar' who,
>>> as you clearly outlined, will inevitably upset a large number of people?
>>>
>>> Better Theme support totally eliminates said controversy.
>> I would really like an answer to this Kent...
> It seems you are suggesting that themes can facilitate the rearranging
> of UI, or changing the logic/interaction of UI.  That's not the purpose
> of a theme. Themes are about skinning, which is changing the appearance
> of *existing* UI.

Fair enough, thanks Wayne. In all honesty, I was struggling to find a
single word that expressed the ability to customize the UI, so I settled
on Theme. Guess that wasn't the best choice.

My primary concern is maintaining the ability to customize the UI, over
and above any changes to the default GUI presented on a fresh install.

I'd love to have the ability, if I were a programmer, to write my own
Addon that not only just changed the 'appearance', but also the GUI itself.

Obviously, the existence of the 'Classic Theme Restorer' Addon proves
that a lot of GUI changes can be made via an Addon.

So, a question for you.

Is there any reason that a Theme Addon (Themes are still Addons, right?)
couldn't do the same things as, say, Classic Theme Restorer?

Also, is it possible to write an Addon that makes changes like, for
example, moves/places toolbar elements (buttons, location bar, search
bar, etc) to a specific toolbar, in a certain order, then hides certain
other toolbars?

Regardless, upon reflection, I can see value in Kent's suggestion for a
GUI 'czar', as long as the ability to customize the GUI provided as the
default by said 'czar' remains fully intact.