What happened to hiring an architect?

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Mon Dec 12 09:10:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016, at 03:28 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> On 12/9/2016 8:28 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> > If something more evolutionary is desired, then I'm not sure we're going
> > to find someone with more expertise and experience than :rkent.
>
> Just to be clear, I never claimed that I intended myself to be the
> substitute architect, only that a technical plan without a viable
> business plan made no sense.

And to be clear on my part, much of what I intended to express was that
Thunderbird and the Gecko context in which it exists is such a large,
complicated, and still relatively under-documented code-base that I
don't think six months is sufficient for someone to understand things
sufficiently deeply.  While also intending to capture your skill, I
truly do mean that you have a uniquely qualified deep understanding of
Thunderbird among the active contributor base (as I understand it[1]).

Andrew

1: This isn't intended to be a slight against other contributors; I
clearly have not been very actively involved in Thunderbird core
development in the last few years.  I try and follow the discussions on
the list and the release notes, etc., but generally don't follow bugs,
etc. so I'm missing out on any deep delves people are doing.  As a
Thunderbird user I remain deeply appreciative for all of the work
everyone is doing and as I allude to above, I appreciate just how
difficult it all can be!