What happened to hiring an architect?

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Dec 12 08:00:23 UTC 2016

On 12/11/2016 11:51 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> On 12/9/2016 12:25 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> R Kent James wrote on 29.09.2016 19:13:
>>>
>>> I made an argument to Mozilla, that I believe was largely accepted,
>>> that said that consulting on a future platform for Thunderbird is
>>> not really what we need.
>>>

>> I'm sorry to object here, but that statement couldn't be more off.
>
> You didn't copy the rest of my statement, and you did not consider that.

Sorry, that got sent before I was finished.

I was going to say that the main issue is not whether some sort of
rewrite is needed, the main issue is how to gather the resources to do
the rewrite. And in case it is not clear to all, that is where I put the
majority of my personal efforts.

Show me your path to gather the 30 person-years of effort needed for a
rewrite, then we can talk about architecture. Otherwise, someone will
write a report, and nothing will happen. In the meantime, the more
pressing issues are associated with infrastructure changes and build
engineering, which is the major pain point with Mozilla at the moment.

:rkent