What happened to hiring an architect?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Sat Dec 10 18:28:33 UTC 2016

Andrew Sutherland wrote on 10.12.2016 05:28:
> If everyone is on board with a re-write,

That's just it: To get a) something in writing in reference, b)
everybody on board with the plan, c) get something moving.

Personally, I do think there are a number of questions to answer:

  * What runtime to work on - Electron, Cordova, or Gecko?
  * ow do the backend modules communicate with the UI?
  * What are the main APIs? High-level overview.
  * Do we support extensions, and if so, which kind of API do we offer them?
  * What target platforms - desktop or also mobile?
  * What UI?
  * Do we maintain a folder-centric UI, or hierarchical labels, or
    dynamical folders based on gloda?

> then I think we can argue that
> the Firefox OS email app backend developed by myself and others covers
> the re-write architecture case.  (tb-planning-participant-wise, :squib
> was involved with the pre-conversations work, and we switched over to
> :jcranmer's excellent JSMime lib for parsing.)

OK. Sounds good! What's stopping you?

Ben