What happened to hiring an architect?

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Sat Dec 10 04:28:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016, at 03:25 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> So, our only long-term option is to rewrite. And this *is* the job for
> an architect.

I'm not sure an architect is really needed.

If everyone is on board with a re-write, then I think we can argue that
the Firefox OS email app backend developed by myself and others covers
the re-write architecture case.  (tb-planning-participant-wise, :squib
was involved with the pre-conversations work, and we switched over to
:jcranmer's excellent JSMime lib for parsing.)  It was informed by years
of working on Thunderbird and with knowledge of gecko internals.  And
I've been planning to get back to that after a breather following the
Firefox OS shutdown.

If something more evolutionary is desired, then I'm not sure we're going
to find someone with more expertise and experience than :rkent.  (Unless
:bienvenu decides to become a Thunderbird hacker again!)

Andrew