Summary of issues for new legal home for Thunderbird

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Dec 9 19:44:54 UTC 2016

Hey Kent and TB Council,

I'm going to revive this thread, because I think it's a pressing issue.

I'm very happy for Thunderbird to receive donations in this order of
magnitude, which means there are options to carry it forward.

As for the future home, I would appreciate the option of TDF.

They have done an awesome job with LibreOffice. They took an old and
aging codebase, and revived it, and made a great product out of it
that's really presentable. They also creating a vivid community around
it, which is also a great achievement all by itself. Today, LibreOffice
is a decent product with a future. This is something that both Oracle
and Apache Foundation failed to do.

One of the differences of LibreOffice is that it puts freedom and free
software values first. This is what excites and attracts contributors.
They believe in the mission. This is something that Apache failed with,
because it appears to me that they have a more laid-back, hands-off
approach, and this wasn't as appealing to contributors. TDF basically
empowers the individual, but gives this an orgnisational structure. For
example, their government structure is deliberately designed to prevent
take-overs from companies or strong individuals.

And I would pose that as one of the big advantages over the alternatives
of e.g. SFC. The Thunderbird project is still very young, and I don't
think we have the experience it takes to form a successful project from
nothing. There are a lot of delicate government questions to answer,
with far-reaching consequences. There's also the risk of copying some
other project structure which is less resilient.

We need something that guarantees the freedom and live of the
Thunderbird community, and the TDP structure is designed for that.

There's also the time factor. It's now 1 year ago that we were
discussing about this very question. We had the very same options - TDP,
SFC or new foundation - on the table. The last year has gone by, and
there's still no decision. It makes me scared to think how it would go
when forming a new structure (even when it's within SFC).

Frankly, I think this project is best-advised by taking an existing
structure that is known to both guarantee freedom and create a
flourishing, engaged community. To my limited knowledge, TDP is the best
option for that, and you can consider yourself very happy that they want
to be your home, and would accept you with open arms. Take these arms!

Please make a decision, rather sooner than later.

Ben