Nightingale - Nascent Contacts project under Thunderbird

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Mon Dec 5 15:33:48 UTC 2016

Thanks Philippe for your feedback.

Just to point to a few aspects about the #3 of Jörg's
list:https://github.com/neandr/vContacts/wiki and a bit general reflection:

That 'vContacts' project is based on the request from the NZ Victoria
University to have a group of students working with Thunderbird. The
good point was their decision to go for a more modern technology, not
only using indexedDB but also React for designing the UI and a more
structured approach for a new addressbook. The current status is far
away from the functionality of the current 'mature' mork implementation
or Philippe's cardBook. James plans to go further with the 'Nightingale'
approach (maybe the name could be better selected, but not that
important here) but it shouldn't go with XUL -- afaiu.

So the 'vContacts' approach -- which is based on the NZ Victoria
University project -- is to design a XUL alternative based on React and
companion technologies. The current code not only needs functional
updates, but very much more to work on the software design and things
like performance analysis and optimization, quality, testing etc are
important. If there are more working hands for that, this project could
help to pave the ground to how Thunderbird evolves into a post-XUL world.

Günter