Nightingale - Nascent Contacts project under Thunderbird

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Dec 2 19:51:46 UTC 2016

On 12/2/2016 11:37 AM, Axel Grude wrote:
> Jokes aside, I think standardization and extension of a vital isn't
> bad, (I especially like the suggestion of a desktop version for the
> address management) but too many different attempts at the same thing
> in different projects may be confusing. It reminds me of the Composer
> / Editor discussion. If we do not commit to one implementation in
> particular in spite of many suggestions, nothing my get implemented in
> the end.

I don't really agree with Jörg's comment that there are too many
competing projects. neandr and I are working together, so we may have
slightly different objectives but it is really the same project.
addon/cardbook is a different category, more analogous to ExQuilla or
Google Contacts Sync than to a replacement address book project. So I
don't believe there are really competing next-gen address book projects.

The emphasis that I want to encourage is to not rush to implementation
in Thunderbird, but to instead use this opportunity to experiment with
the technological underpinnings of Thunderbird. If we don't plan from
the beginning to target broadly, it will never happen.

:rkent