Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Chris Ilias tb-planning at ilias.ca
Fri Dec 2 14:17:02 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 10:29 PM, Walter L Schwartz wrote:
> On 12/01/2016 07:18 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Here's a screenshot of TB45: http://ilias.ca/screenshots/tb45.png
>>
>> When I started using TB, it had a menu bar by default. The menu bar
>> was replaced with a menu button. I suppose I would have assumed the
>> button at the end of the toolbar was the path to all those commands.
>> The addition of a calendar pushed the menu button away from the edge
>> of the window, and I don't think I would interpret it as a menu button
>> anymore. It's in the middle of nowhere and looks like a big grippy.
>> Maybe extend the toolbar across the window?
>> Change the icon to something like a gear?
>> Move the menu button up in the tab bar? I don’t know about anyone
>> else, but I rarely have more than one TB tab open anyway.
>
> Did you know you can use Customize to move the menu button up into the
> tab bar, menu bar or all the way down to the other end of the mail toolbar?

This isn't a support thread. I'm talking about the best default.
Before we can expect the user to move the button, they need to know at
least two things:
* what the button is for
* that it can be moved

>> Here's another one: Why do we have a menu item to create "Other
>> accounts", when it only offers one account type?
>> http://ilias.ca/screenshots/tb45-otheraccount.png
>
> Well, all the other accounts have their own menu items. The "Other
> accounts" menu item offers Movemail and Newsgroups on Linux, only
> Newsgroups on Windows.

So there's a low hanging fruit: Change the menu label on Windows and Mac
versions. It would probably be a good first bug for a new contributor.

In addition, TB should skip the first screen of the wizard on Windows
and Mac.